[odf-discuss] Recommended reading: Rick Jelliffe on converging editable electronic document packaging conventions

robert_weir at us.ibm.com robert_weir at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 13 10:10:09 EST 2009

Not sure what the benefit of this would be.  From an implementation
perspective, writing code to support different ZIP+XML packaging formats
is trivial.  It amounts to maybe 0.1% of the effort of supporting ODF or
OOXML for an editor.  But if the XML inside the Zip is not harmonized,
then the other 99.9% of the differences is what will cause you grief.

It is like saying, I'll write a book in English and you'll write a book in
Japanese, but we'll agree that the table of contents goes in front, right
after the title page, and that amounts to the sum total of our
"interoperability":  Might have some use if your application only looks at
the table of contents and nothing more.  But for typical uses of office
documents, e.g,, editing, viewing, etc., it is not a very compelling
use-case and hardly seems worth the effort.

IMHO, harmonization needs to serve the goal of document interoperability
and not merely be the target of an intellectual tidiness fetish.

-Rob

odf-discuss-bounces at opendocumentfellowship.com wrote on 01/13/2009
09:51:50 AM:

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/01/packaging-formats-of-famous-ap.html>.