[odf-discuss] OOXML: The next step

Pete Harlow peter.harlow at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 09:33:17 EDT 2008

On 14/04/2008, Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera at zmsl.com> wrote:

> Some times I feel like I'm trapped inside a Monty Python sketch.

Possibly because you are an expert.

"An unfortunate characteristic of an expert is that they are unable to
explain their decision-making process. This makes sense when you consider
they are operating on autopilot: the solution is being presented to them,
fully-formed, by their unconscious. A professional tennis player just
"knows" how to return a ball with a topspin. A professional musician sees
their instrument as an extension of themselves rather than as a device they
manipulate."

http://www.infoq.com/articles/better-best-practices

I assume that you, like many others, just want to get on with the
engineering. Unfortunately the FUD being fed down to managers from certain
vendors of proprietary software means that more and more, engineers are
being micromanaged rather than trusted to get on with their jobs.

--
Pete Harlow
Catnip Corner - Photography by Pete Harlow - http://www.catnip.co.uk/