[odf-discuss] OOXML: The next step

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Tue Apr 8 11:30:07 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 09:12:42 AM -0400, robert_weir at us.ibm.com wrote:

> Hi Marco,
>
> Your proposal is an "OpenFile" mark which could be applied to
> documents that are free from such extensions.  This appears not to
> be against all extensions per-se, but only against those that are
> undocumented or have restrictive licensing.  Governments, etc.,
> could require or prefer documents with such a mark, and applications
> which are capable of producing them.

correct.

> One difference is that my proposal would be part of the standard, in
> the conformance clause, while yours would be a separate program.

yes again.

> Other difference is in the treatment of patent-encumbered
> extensions.  Your proposal would forbid them.  My proposal would
> allow them, if they were documented.

that's because, as you yourself say, our two proposals aren't mutually
exclusive: they work at different levels, exactly because, to use your
words:

> Typically a technical standard places requirements only on tangible
> properties and behaviors of the applications.

I agree with this way of working and I don't want it to change, as I
wrote it in my papers.

> I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but I think it would need
> resources behind it similar to the launch of a new open source
> licence.

of course. I said "I'd like to write more, or work, on similar
projects" just because I'm well aware an "OpenFile" initiative of this
kind could never be a one-man, volunteer show. But if enough players
start to partner...

> And remember at a future ODF 1.2 BRM, Microsoft could get
> such a clause watered-down ("shall" becomes "should" or "may") or
> removed altogether in 30 seconds, with the strength they have in ISO
> NB's.

all the more reasons to consider an "OpenFile" initiative as part of a
"next step", aren't they? If Microsoft can control the current
technical standard bodies, let's attack from another front too.

Ciao,
			Marco
--
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84