[odf-discuss] Gnome Foundation and ECMA
jody at gnome.org
Sat Nov 3 14:36:17 EDT 2007
On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 06:55:22AM -0400, Pamela Jones wrote:
> All Jody and Gnome have to do to turn this around is to make a statement
> clarifying, so the false impression, as you view it, doesn't get carved in
> stone and Microsoft is not able to misuse the participation for its own
Clarifying what? Each time we make a declaration the target is
- Am I contributing to the resolution of issues ?
- Do I plan to contribute to the resolution of issues ?
- Am I funded/controled/manipulated/tied [fill in appropriate legal
term] by MS or its partners/subsidiaries ...
- Is GNOME funded/controlled/manipulated/tied [fill in appropriate legal
term] by MS or ....
- Does GNOME encourage people to use MOOX ?
- Does GNOME advocate that ISO approve MOOX ?
If we had a vote (which we do not) I would abstain.
- Do Gnumeric developers support free software ?
Yes. Gnumeric is GPL, our libraries are GPL or LGPL, we've
contributed code to a large swath of projects.
- Do we implement ODF ?
- Have we worked on ODF ?
- Are we anti-ODF ?
No. We've performed exactly the same function as an external
evaluator for ODF as for MOOX, and listed problems as they
arise. If anything we've self censored to a massive degree to
avoid publicising the problems we've encountered in ODF.
- Are we MOOX fanboys, drooling after it's shiny technology ?
No. It's pissed us off quite a bit too. Look for instances in
the code of '!@$!@!@# idiots did what ???', but despite that
we'll implement it because there are users this will help.
- Have we worked more on ODF than MOOX ?
Yes. My MOOX contributions are limited to finding faults. For
ODF I've contributed text and code to OO.o.
Nor do I beat my wife.
What else do we need to state or clarify ?
More information about the odf-discuss