[odf-discuss] Gnome Foundation and ECMA

Pamela Jones pj at groklaw.net
Sat Nov 3 06:55:22 EDT 2007

I understand. But it isn't coming across that way. You and Jody may feel
that is unfair, that people should be more logical.  But people aren't
logical.

Meanwhile, here's what KDE is doing:

  Key KOffice Developers Talk About KOffice 2 and Open Standards

In this interview, some key KOffice developers tell us about the recent
progress of KDE's Office suite, about Open Standards and how KOffice
plays an active role in bringing Freedom to users. We have talked to
Boudewijn Rempt, developer of Krita, core KOffice contributor and
KOffice release manager, as well as to David Faure who has been taking
part in the OASIS, the organization that is responsible for advancing
the OpenDocument (ODF) standard.

David Faure says: "We're taking part in the OASIS because we truly
believe in Open Standards. KOffice standardises on OpenDocument. Free
Software and open standards are a perfect match and the way to move
forward for a society to ensure vendor-independent access to its data.
We're actively participating in the OASIS since it matches our value,
and we believe that one strong standard is in the best interest of our
users."
http://dot.kde.org/1194021253/

All Jody and Gnome have to do to turn this around is to make a statement
clarifying, so the false impression, as you view it, doesn't get carved
in stone and Microsoft is not able to misuse the participation for its
own ends.