[odf-discuss] Response from a GNOME Foundation board director

Jody Goldberg jody at gnome.org
Fri Nov 2 05:51:49 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 11:00:14PM +0000, Ian Lynch wrote:

> To answer Marbux, I think that the Gnome issue is different from the
> profit making companies because the values of a not for profit
> organisation are not the same as for profit making company. Generally
> for profit companies exist for the benefit of their shareholder, not for
> profits exist for some noble cause. Its quite easy to see why Gnome's
> involvement with ECMA would be seen as different from Novell, Sun or
> Apple by the community.
>
> Again, think people, think emotions, think perception not technical
> details. This is about human and community relationships, not coding or
> legal analysis.

As an implementer I disagree with those priorities.
This is about technical details, not perception.
This is about writing the code necessary to get something done.

The gains from having better interoperability with MS (OOX and
binary formats) outweigh the miniscule political cost.  As much as I
enjoy Gnumeric, the notion it is going to materially alter the
decisions by the national bodies in ISO the decision by ISO seems
ridiculous.

On the other hand it seems certain that there are already people who
will benefit from being able to use Gnumeric in place XL thanks to
improvements in our filters.